In this real life meal I can’t really sing the praises of all LOCAL products however it has a good mix of both LOCAL products and healthy ingredients you may not have tried yet. I LOVE Mexican style food, this dish is quick (under 30 minutes) and less than a trip through the Taco Bell drive thru (and admit it… that is not an easy thing to accomplish). Here we go…. let’s start with a shopping list.
Your Favorite Greens (I used Romaine) $ 0.75
Quinoa (Cheapest if you buy in bulk) $ 1.75
Red Pepper $ 1.00
Cilantro $ 0.25
Husk LOCAL Sweet Corn $2.50
Lime and Avocado $ 1.40
Black Beans $ 1.29
Sour Cream $ 0.25
LOCAL made Salsa $ 0.25
1 lb LOCAL Chorizo (Tyner Pond Farm)
$14.43/4 = $3.61 a plate
1. Defrost Chorizo.
2. Chop Red Pepper.
3. Heat 1 T of Olive oil and 2 gloves of garlic in skillet. Add Husk Sweet Corn, Red Pepper, and a dash of Cayenne pepper. Heat until corn is defrosted then reduce to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Chop ¼ Cup of Cilantro.
5. 2 C Water and 1 C Quinoa in sauce pan, ¼ t of salt, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer.
6. Brown Chorizo then add drained Black Beans, reduce to simmer.
7. Reduce Corn to Simmer and add ¼ Cup Cilantro.
8. Cut greens to bite size pieces.
9. Dice Avocado.
Fill Bottom of a bowl or plate with cut greens. Layer on ¼ of cooked Quinoa, ¼ Meat and Bean mixture, ¼ Mexican skillet Sweet Corn, then Garnish with a spoonful of Sour Cream, Salsa and Diced Avocado.