Winter dinners should warm you up and wrap you in the comfort that comes with a winter harvest. Squash is a great seasonal food that has year round recipe applications but today we are going to serve up the first thing that comes to most people’s minds when you say Butternut Squash: soup.
3 T Butter.
3 Lbs Butternut Squash (4 12 oz bags of Husk).
1 Medium Onion, chopped.
5 Cups vegetable stock or water.
1 Cup Half and Half.
1 T Fresh Sage.
Salt and fresh ground Pepper.
1. Put Butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once Butter is melted, add the thawed Butternut Squash and chopped Onion, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until the Onion softens.
2. Add the Sage, flavor with Salt and Pepper and cook for another two minutes or so then add the Vegetable stock or Water and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat, cover and cook until Squash starts to fall apart, about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
4. Puree the soup in the pan with an immersion blender or cool slightly and puree in blender or food processor.
5. Heat the soup to ALMOST boiling, stir in the cream and heat through. Do NOT boil.
6. Garnish with fresh ground Pepper.